Call our office in Mt. Kisco today to schedule your TMD Therapy appointment.
Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is a condition that can cause pain and stiffness and affect the movement of your jaw. TMD isn’t considered to be serious and it can get better on its own. However, the pain of TMD can affect your ears and temples, can cause headaches, and make it difficult for you to open your mouth properly. Often the pain can be much worse when you are stressed or eating, and can even affect your sleep. To help relieve the pain, you should consider TMD physical therapy. If you are in the Mt Kisco, New York area call our office now at (914) 219-6595 to schedule an appointment.
What is TMD therapy?
TMD physical therapy involves learning and practicing techniques to help you regain normal movement in your jaw. Physical therapy for TMD focuses on relaxation, stretching, strengthening, and releasing tight muscles. There is a range of techniques involved to help relieve TMD pain. Here are some of the physical therapy techniques used.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a small electrical current that helps to reduce pain, relax muscles, and improve blood circulation. One downside to this is that the treatment can be less effective on certain people.
- Heat therapy can be used to reduce the pain, relax the muscles, and help the blood circulation in the jaw. Heat application can be used up to four times a day.
- Ice therapy can reduce swelling and pain in the jaw. A cold pack can be applied for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Jaw exercises can help to maintain muscle strength and a range of motion.
- Training techniques can be used to improve posture.
- Ultrasound therapy can help improve blood circulation and reduce pain and swelling.
When you would need TMD therapy?
Before undertaking TMD therapy, you should make sure that you actually need to have the treatment. There is a distinct possibility that the pain in your jaw will go away on its own or with the help of over-the-counter pain relief and anti-inflammatory medication.
If the pain you are experiencing is more long term, it is highly advised that you speak to a healthcare professional and seek a solution. They might offer you some of the aforementioned treatments, or they could refer you to a specialist to seek further advice.
What are the benefits of TMD therapy?
Suffering from jaw pain can cause a range of other medical problems, such as chronic headaches, back pain, and neck pain. This is why it’s important to seek treatment as soon as possible.
TMD therapy treatments can also help reduce the risk of dental problems such as bruxism (chronic teeth grinding). Bruxism is one of the most common causes of TMD and can sometimes lead to cracked teeth and dental erosion. When you use TMD therapy, it can help protect your teeth and your smile.
You will also be able to enjoy food once again. Having TMD can make it extremely painful to eat, to the point you may not eat at all, causing malnutrition. With TMD therapy, it can alleviate the discomfort you experienced and allow you to eat a range of foods.